Thursday, July 30, 2009

Joe's Apartment


starring Jerry O'Connell and Megan Ward
1996

Joe: (writing letter) "Dear Lily, I want to help your garden..."
cockroach: That's plow your garden, Joe. Tell her you want to plow 'er.

Besides starring the lovely Megan Ward, Joe's Apartment is an underrated comedy classic. Sure, it was an MTV film, and is chock full of hipster pop-culture references, with nods to comic artists Peter Bagge and los Hernandez brothers, a William Wegman & Fay Wray cameo, and a slew of the bands of the day. The soundtrack even features a Green Day song. Were you listening Green Day in 1996? I didn't think so. Okay, so neither was I. I do, however, remember a time when Pearl Jam opened for Soundgarden, before things went all topsy-turvy.

But it is a funny movie. Critics called it stupid, with a thin, ridiculous plot. So what? I think I'd take talking cockroaches over some of the so-called "critically acclaimed" films any day.


Megan Ward as Lily

No comments: